If you're attempting to link your Excel workbook to your Word template and you receive this error (below) then it is likely due to your cloud backup software, such as OneDrive or Google Drive.
1. Open the Windows File Explorer and right-click on the OneDrive tab, then click on Settings.
2. Navigate to the Office tab.
3. Uncheck the "Use Office applications to sync Office files that I open" option.
4. Click OK and then close and reopen your Excel & Word documents for the changes to take effect.
Google Drive Solution:
1. Open the Drive File Stream icon from the task bar.
2. Click the More (three-dots) button.
2. Choose Preferences.
3. Deselect "Show who is editing Office files, and share with othe editors if I am editing" under Real time presence in Microsoft Office.
4. Click RESTART NOW and then close and reopen your Word and Excel documents.